Hassan Rouhani, President of Iran
Hassan Rouhani (born 12 November 1948) is the 7th President of Iran, in office since 2013. He is also a Muslim cleric (with the status of a Shia Mujtahid), lawyer, academic and former diplomat. He has been a member of Iran’s Assembly of Experts since 1999, member of the Expediency Council since 1991, member of the Supreme National Security Council since 1989, and head of the Center for Strategic Research since 1992.
Rouhani was deputy speaker of the 4th and 5th terms of the Parliament of Iran (Majlis) and Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council from 1989 to 2005. In the latter capacity, he also headed Iran’s former nuclear negotiating team and was the country’s top negotiator with the EU three – UK, France, and Germany – on Iran’s nuclear program.
On 7 May 2013, Rouhani registered for the presidential election that was held on 14 June 2013. He said that, if elected, he would prepare a “civil rights charter”, restore the economy and improve rocky relations with Western nations. Rouhani is viewed as politically moderate. As early vote counts began coming in, he took a large lead. He was elected as President of Iran on 15 June, defeating Tehran mayor Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and four other candidates. He took office on 3 August 2013. In 2013, TIME magazine named him 9th Most Influential People in the World. In domestic policy, he encourages personal freedom and free access to information has improved women’s rights by appointing female foreign ministry spokespersons, and has been described as a “”reformist” who has improved Iran’s diplomatic relations with other countries through exchanging conciliatory letters.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Former President of Iran
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmadi Nejad was born in 1956 in the village of Aradan in the city of Garmsar. He moved and stayed in Tehran together with his family while he was still one-year old and completed his primary as well as his low and high secondary education there. In 1975, he successfully passed the university entrance exam with high marks and started his academic studies on the subject of civil engineering in the Science and Technology University in Tehran.
In 1986, he continued his studies at MS level in the same university. In 1989, he became a member of the Board of Civil Engineering Faculty of the Science and Technology University. In 1997, he managed to obtain his Ph.D. on transportation engineering and planning from the Science and Technology University.
Dr. Ahmadi Nejad is familiar with English language. During the years when he was teaching in the university, he wrote many scientific papers and engaged in scientific research in various fields. During the same period, he also supervised the theses of tens of students at MS and Ph.D. levels on different subjects of civil engineering, road and transportation as well as construction management.
While still a student, Dr. Ahmadi Nejad engaged in political activities by attending religious and political meetings before the Islamic Revolution. With the victory of the Islamic Revolution, he became a founder and also a member of the Islamic Association of Students in the Science and Technology University. During the war imposed on Iran, Dr. Ahmadi Nejad was actively present as a member of the volunteer forces (Basij) in different parts and divisions of the battlefronts particularly in the war engineering division until the end of the war.
Dr. Ahmadi Nejad is married and has three children- two sons and one daughter.
– Governor of Maku
– Governor of Khoy
– Advisor to the Governor General of Kordistan Province
– Advisor for cultural affairs to the Minister of Culture and Higher Education (1993)
– Governor General of Ardabil Province (1993-1997)
– Member of the Board of Civil Engineering Faculty of the Science and Technology University (since 1989 till present date)
– Tehran Mayor (2003-2005)
– He was elected by the Iranian people as the President during the 9th presidential election on June 24, 2005.
In addition to his academic and scientific pursuits as well as his executive positions, Dr. Ahmadi Nejad has engaged in the following careers and activities as well:
– Journalism; writing various political, social, cultural and economic articles,
– In the same career, he also held the position of managing director of Hamshahri newspaper and launched various affiliated periodicals including Neighborhood Hamshahri published and distributed in 22 areas of the city of Tehran, Hamshahri for Passengers, Diplomatic Hamshahri, Youth Hamshahri, Monthly Hamshahri and also extra pages attached to the Hamshahri newspaper for thinkers, students, etc.
– Founding and working as a member of Iran Tunnel Society,
– Working as a member of Iran Civil Engineering Society,
– Working as a member of the first central council of the Islamic Association of Students in the Science and Technology University,
– Working as a member of the first central council of the Union of Islamic Associations of University and Higher Education Institutes in Iran.